- Ismael Guerrero receives award from White House.
- Guerrero is executive director of the Denver Housing Authority.
- DHA boasts a number of solar “firsts.”
The Denver Housing Authority and Ismael Guerrero, DHA’s executive director were recognized on Thursday by the White House as a “2014 Champion of Change in Solar Deployment.”
During the White House sponsored Solar Summit held in Washington, D.C., U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan recognized the work of the Denver Housing Authority that installed more than 10,000 240-watt solar photovoltaic panels that will produce 2.5 megawatts of renewable energy. The $10 million investment was financed through a creative Power-Purchase Agreement.
“This recognition from the White House is a great affirmation of DHA’s initiatives in sustainable development,” Guerrero said. “Expanded use of solar power is good for the environment and good for our business. We are pleased to be contributing toward the President’s goals of a more sustainable, healthy future for the next generation and those that will follow.”
The White House’s Champions of Change program regularly recognizes every day Americans who are making positive changes in their communities. This Champions event honors individuals and organizations involved in developing and promoting solar power in communities across the United States. The Champions of Change event featured DHA and the other Solar Deployment Champions of Change on a panel to share successes and lessons learned in deployment of solar and other renewables.
In addition to the nation’s largest multi-family PPA, DHA’s other solar initiatives include:
- A first ever 100kw photovoltaic solar program using SunPower T5 Roof Tile system with 96-cell solar panels;
- The first all-in-one non-penetrating photo-voltaic rooftop at a public housing authority in the United States;
- And a 50 kilowatt solar photovoltaic system at its newest senior building located in west Denver.
Have a story idea or real estate tip? Contact John Rebchook at JRCHOOK@gmail.com. InsideRealEstateNews.com is sponsored by Universal Lending, Land Title Guarantee and 8z Real Estate. To read more articles by John Rebchook, subscribe to the Colorado Real Estate Journal